Mixed-signal applications are among the fastest growing market segments in the electronics and semiconductor industry. From watching mobile digital TV to reading on your tablet to auto-pilot cars, consumers expect electronics to do more—in more places—than ever before. Driven by growth opportunities in mobile communication, networking, power management, automotive, medical, imaging, safety and security applications, many silicon vendors are refocusing their business on RF, high-performance analog and mixed-signal designs.
Cadence’s unified mixed-signal solutions are comprehensive, interoperable, and proven, backed by our more than 20 years of expertise in helping customers achieve first silicon success and meet shortened time-to-market goals.
Mixed-signal Design Challenges
Higher integration, along with the migration to advanced process nodes, brings new challenges to mixed-signal design, particularly in the following areas1:
Top Implementation Challenges
- Seamless data/constraints flow between analog and digital tools
- Integration of mixed-signal IP at SoC level
- Physical design turnaround time (TAT)
- Mixed-signal design signoff analysis (timing, power, and noise)
- ECO productivity
Top Verification Challenges
- Simulation performance
- Simulation model creation
- Unified verification methodology covering analog and digital design parts
- Verifying logic connectivity including low-power verification
- Accurate power analysis
Cadence Unified Mixed-Signal Methodology
Cadence’s mixed-signal solution addresses implementation and verification challenges and delivers a comprehensive, interoperable, and production-proven methodology. All design steps, including early design planning, front-end design, functional verification, physical implementation, signoff, and packaging, are shared responsibilities between analog and digital teams.
- Comprehensive: Cadence mixed-signal solution unifies a wide spectrum of products and technologies with advanced methodologies.
- Interoperable: Cadence’s unified mixed-signal methodology enables a collaborative design approach where analog and digital design teams work concurrently, sharing design data and information using the OpenAccess common database that improves overall efficiency and TAT.
- Proven: Cadence’s mixed-signal solution is production proven and has addressed the needs of the mixed-signal design community for over 20 years, delivering thousands of successful tapeouts.
- Preserves design intent and integrity across analog and digital boundaries and hierarchy, enabling a faster time to market
- Provides streamlined flows optimized to increase productivity and design efficiency
- Increases design throughput with greater predictability
- OpenAccess database eases sharing of design data between groups, reduces iterations and improves collaboration
- Scalable solution, built-on strong foundations of products, technology, IP, services, support, and a broad ecosystem support